Melanie and Gus
Despite the wind and freezing temperatures, muscle pains and illness, my friends and I took our horses to a ranch sorting clinic. All of our horses met some cows a few weeks ago, but this was their first time actually working cows and learning to play by the rules.
Me and Odie
Here's a quick run down of a ranch sorting event -
- There are two connecting pens with a gate in the middle with 12 cows on one side
- Cows are numbered 0-9 with 2 unnumbered cows
- The object is to move cows from one side to the other in order beginning with the number the announcer calls.
- If any of the cows cross the line in the wrong order, or any unnumbered cows cross the line, you are eliminated.
- Riders ride in teams of 2 and take turns cutting the cows and manning the gate.
- If you do really well (fast with lots of cows), you can win money.
Becky and Maverick
All three horses did really well all day. With a little practice, health on our side and some warmer temperatures, I think we could be really good!
Melanie and Gus and Me and Odie