Saturday, November 3, 2012

Janie

The first time I rode her was in December of 1992 and she started bucking when I asked her to canter.  There was something about the little mare that I loved anyway and I bought her.  She was the first horse that I bought with my own money, saved from selling 4H market lambs at the fair.  We brought her home on a very cold night after my grandpa had built her a stall in our old cow barn.  After all, there was no way I could let her sleep outside like the other horses.



Janie and I had many adventures from trail riding to pony club, hunter paces and events, and LOTS of roundy round shows.



She had the best personality and even had a few tricks up her sleeve.  She could shake and "say please" and gave the best pony kisses.



I sold Janie after leaving to be a working student in Virginia.  She had two other owners, but I was able to keep up with her wherabouts.  Her last owners cherished her as much as I did.  In 2008, they offered har back to me for retirement.  I was thrilled to have her back, relaxing in my backyard.  Thank you so much Heather for letting me have this time with her!



Janie taught so many kids how to ride.  I think Ella and I were the lucky ones to have the last ride on her.



The last two winters were pretty tough on Janie.  She wasn't able to gain much weight back over the summer, so the difficult decision was made to have her put down this fall.  I did OK during the actual procedure and burial, but haven't really been able to talk about it or think about her until now.



Janie was so loved.  I am glad that she had a long life and had the last few years to enjoy retirement.  I will always remember her cute, fuzzy face, her gentle nicker and the best pony kisses.

3 comments:

  1. Geeez, you have me bawling like a baby! Janie was indeed a sweet, sweet horse. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great testament and memorial for a treasured animal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I bet Hunter's playin' with Janie," says Ella. Janie was the ABSOLUTE best.

    ReplyDelete